Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Oliva Serie V - Ligero Especial Review

This past weekend Elliot came over to smoke some of the Oliva Serie V - Ligero Especials that I had bought about two weeks ago. I had been hesitant to smoke these too often, as they were my best cigars and I didn't want to run through the box so quickly. But then again, guilty indulgence is something that I know I am extremely privy to.

The Oliva V cigar is a special cigar - it has been in in Cigar Aficionado's Top 25 for two years running all while being roughly $6.00 per stick, which is unheard of considering the Top 25 consists largely of either very expensive cigars or even Cubans. It became so popular that when an affordable, premium cigar becomes very popular, such as the Casa Magna Colorado, it is said to be "Oliva V'ed."

The box I purchased was the belicoso size, which is 6" long with a 54 gauge ring and a torpedo tip. It is much like the double robusto size, except the double robusto has a parejo or "flat" tip. I much prefer the torpedos because I feel that I have much more control over the type of draw I want based on how much of the tip I cut off. The cigar itself is very attractive; it is a deep, dark brown, almost chocolate-like in color. Strong, single veins run along its side while mainting a smooth and buttery texture which ends at the tip. The aroma emanating from the cigar is intoxicating and complex; undertones of the earth fill my nostrils which are then overpowered by a rich smell of chocolate, hazel, and coffee. It is indeed, a great cigar, and I look forward to each smoke.

I pulled two of these fine specimens from my humidor and selected a Gordon Biersch Czech-style lager as my drink of choice. For Elliot, I elected for him a seasonal from the New Belgium Brewing Company called Mighty Arrow. We went to my balcony, under the gorgeous blue skies, and proceeded upon our session.

Once again, I did not have access to a lighter so we were left to use what few matches I still had left. We completed our cuts (no wrapper falling apart this time!) and began the lighting process. Of course, just as we were about to do this, the beautiful skies became overcast and the wind picked up. I started to struggle; I unfortunately never had the pleasure with playing with fire when I was younger so matches had always been a challenge for me; the wind was not adding to my already lack of skills. I was on my tenth match or so when suddenly, my jaw seemed to have unclenched itself and my beautiful cigar fell from my lips! I saw it crash down to the floor of my balcony and a sudden feeling of remorse and dread fluttered through my chest. I quickly scooped up the cigar, lest five seconds would pass and examined it. I felt as if my heart had been shattered; it had grown a massive 4" long split on one side. I was crushed, but upon further examination it appeared the cigar was in one piece. I would not be dissuaded!

Eventually both of us were able to light our cigars, mine being extremely ugly due to the wrapper being split open while Elliot's appeared to be burning nicely. Still, the split did not deter much from the smoke itself, although I was not able to take the booming draw that I normally take. Even without looking like a chimney though, the flavors of the cigar were wonderful in my mouth. The beginning was earthy and woody, with a hint of leather which eventually smoothed out into a warm, hazel and coffee-like flavoring; almost sweet, in a sense. But the best part of each draw was the finish, which lingered like the perfume of a beautiful woman, not too heavy, but just enough that you wanted more. As we smoked more, I remembered I had brought beers outside as well! In all my enjoyment I had forgotten about my beverage, which I quickly swilled.

And that it was, swill.

As my cigar became uglier and uglier, but the flavor still being great, I neared the end of my cigar. I wanted it to last longer, to smoke this endlessly, but it was not meant to be. Still in this moment, sitting here reminiscing about my last smoke, I can still smell it, the beauty of the Oliva V.

No comments:

Post a Comment